Friday, May 29, 2009

Mystic Tan: Or how I lost my mind in Minneapolis

I'm pale. Lily white skin, in the words of my dad. In high school I tanned a bit -before proms and formals. But now I am anti tan. As a makeup artist, and former beauty sales consultant I sold too many expensive wrinkle creams to put myself under the aging sun. So I've suffered many summers embarrassingly fair. But last week, I got a spray tan. That's right, I stripped down and had a machine methodically spray my body with dye. And I look good.

Do not underestimate what a tan can do for your psyche. In my head, I felt 20 pounds thinner and immediately more awesome. I went out to downtown Minneapolis the day after my spray tan with the intention of sipping a cocktail and being the respectable girl that I am, but the tan went to my head. The classy martini led way to shots and other forgotten drinks.

I proceeded to dance as if I was a girl in a Poison rock video. Hair swinging and all. The next morning I was embarrassed, and my tan was a little worse for the wear but I have been converted. Not normally one to fret about my appearance (despite being a makeup artist) I think a little (fake) tan is just what I need for a summer of self-esteem.

No comments: