Friday, May 16, 2008

The Greatest Cat Power

This video reminded me of my grandma. She used to bowl really well. It was something her husband, my grandpa, didn't like her to do. The truth is, he didn't like her to go out much. He was a traditional man and the jealous type. They had 7 children in a shack if I've ever seen one, not too far from where I grew up. And every time I have the pleasure to drive by it, I'm in awe of my grandma. Not because she had 7 kids, though that's surely impressive, but because she went bowling. She went bowling and she won tournaments. She painted and sewed clothing for extra money. She worked at a floral shop. She is the first artist I ever knew and she tought me how to paint. It's very beautiful how she found a way to be more than a dairy farmer's wife. She still paints and sews. She even conquered computers and she can email with the best of them. I look to her example when I feel like there's no way I can be all things that I want to be. Maybe I'll be tired at the end of my days, but at least I will have gone bowling.

No comments: