Monday, April 21, 2008

Musical Conquistador!

I admit that I never really "got" Bjork. Not digestible to me. But I was listening to Pandora which is this handy radio smorgasbord. You type in what artist or song you are craving and it will play songs related to that choice. They call it the music genome project. What's even more interesting is the analysis of each song and why they play it in relation to your chosen song or artist. A ton of research goes into each song and artist. Whether they are piano-based, have djembe instrumentation, lyrical focus...etc. Cool.

So, I wanted to have a Kristin Hersh atmosphere tonight. I typed it in, and got some interesting related tunes. And then Bjork's Unravel. This song blew my mind. I finally get Bjork. She used to be cacophony, but I think I finally accessed what everyone else loves about Bjork.

I had a similar experience with Ani DiFranco in high school. Not palatable until I heard "Swan Dive" After that song, I found a way in to all her others. I'm excited about Bjork.

However, I will never "get" Nickelback. No way, no how.

No comments: